This simple sheet pan dinner is full of flavor and color from the bright yellow turmeric and red cherry tomatoes. Serve it with rice or dunk naan into the wonderful sauce. I had left over roasted cauliflower that I pureed and combined with mashed potatoes to soak up the juices.
Line your sheet or roasting pan with foil for an easier clean up.
Extra flavor comes from coconut milk, lime, ginger and garlic. You could use almost any fish. I used rockfish but salmon, flounder, snapper, bass…they would all be delicious.
Coconut Fish and Cherry Tomato Bake (4 servings)
- 3/4 cup of unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 (1-inch) piece of fresh ginger, skin scrapped off and finely grated
- 1 clove of garlic, finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon of red-pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 2 limes – one for serving and one for zesting and juicing
- kosher salt
- 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro
- 4 fish fillets
- 2 pints cherry or grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- In a large bowl whisk together the coconut milk, ginger, garlic, turmeric, red-pepper flakes, honey and 1 teaspoon of kosher salt. Zest and juice one lime into the mix. Stir in 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro.
- Add the fish fillets and turn to coast. Marinate in the fridge for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat your oven to 450 degrees F.
- Line a sheet pan or shallow dish with foil.
- Place the tomatoes on the sheet pan and drizzle with the oil. Stir to coat.
- Place the marinated fish between the tomatoes and spoon the marinade over the fish.
- Transfer the fish to the oven and roast until cooked through, 8-10 minutes depending on thickness and type of fish.
- Divide the fish among the plates, tip the juices over, top with the tomatoes and additional chopped cilantro.
The original recipe came from Yewande Komalafe and called for roasting followed by broiling. I didn’t think the broiling step was necessary, we didn’t miss it.
Also, coconut milk freezes really well. I freeze any leftovers from an open can so they are ready to use when a smaller portion is needed. You can do this in a small plastic bag or any freezer safe container. Simply defrost in the microwave or on the counter.