Leftovers, don’t you just love them? They really spur my creative thoughts. In this case, it was about 2 cups of leftover grilled fresh salmon from the night before. What to do with it? I wanted something warm (cold salmon salad didn’t do it for me on a crisp autumn night). I have had delicious fish croquettes made with leftover white fish and mashed potatoes. What about salmon and sweet potatoes? If I used yams they would have a lovely pink color. What do you think? It was worth a try. Success! I added some finely chopped Serrano chili to counter the sweetness and add a touch of heat.
Salmon and Sweet Potato Burgers
- About 2 cups of leftover salmon, flaked (canned would probably work as well)
- 1 large cooked sweet potato or yam (or 2 smaller ones), removed from the skin and mashed
- 1 Serrano chili, seeded and shopped finely
- 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
- 4 finely chopped green onions
- Soy sauce, I used about 2 tablespoons
- 1/4 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 egg, beaten
- Panko for coating (I used gluten free Panko)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- For serving, sliced avocado and more chopped cilantro
- Combine the flaked salmon, mashed sweet potato, chili, cilantro, scallions, soy sauce and mayonnaise in a large bowl. Taste for seasoning before adding the beaten egg. You may need to add a bit more soy sauce or salt. Once to your liking, add the beaten egg.
- Spread the panko (or bread crumbs) on a plate.
- Form the salmon mixture into burger like portions with your hands, coat with the panko and place in a single layer on a plate. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat, add the olive oil, sauté the burgers for about 3-4 minutes a side, or until cooked through.
- Serve with avocado and more chopped cilantro.
Hi Liz, these burgers look really good, I like the combination of the sweet potato with salmon and it makes them a lovely colour too. I will be giving this one a go!
Hi Poppy, add some spice with chili or fresh ginger. It makes a big difference. And, let me know how you like it.
What a great combo. Yes, I adore leftovers – it brings out the creative cook in you! I’ve had salmon, potato and broccoli “cakes” (as they are called in the UK), but I think that sweet potato, especially with chilli and fresh coriander (i.e. cilantro) to offset the sweetness would be fabulous.
Salmon, potato and broccoli sounds like a good combination as well. I will have to try that one, they would be pretty specked with green.