Would you like something with all the flavors of Thanksgiving but none of the fuss? And what are your favorite parts of the holiday food? Mine are the turkey, stuffing (has to have sausage), and sweet potatoes. Look no further than this recipe to give you an easy introduction to the season with much less work. This could even be a midweek meal, it cooks in one skillet.
Thanksgiving Warm Up
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 pound chicken or turkey Italian sausage, removed from the casings
- 1 rounded teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 rounded teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Shaved Brussels sprouts for garnish and cranberry sauce
- In a skillet, melt the butter over medium high heat.
- Add the ground turkey and sausage. Cook, stirring occasionally until no longer pink.
- Add the onion, celery, poultry seasoning, dried thyme, and chili flakes. Cook until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the diced sweet potato. Cover the skillet and cook until tender.
- Taste for salt and pepper as needed. The sausage can be quite salty. Garnish with thinly shaved Brussels sprouts.
I had some cranberry aigre-doux in the pantry, it was perfect with the dish.