Travel for work has taken up much of my time these last few weeks and I have missed you. I’m going to make it up to you though with this post. Take a look at this beautiful green sauce, it is a wonder! Creamy from the avocado, full of good fats from that same avocado, olive oil, and nuts; full of flavor from cilantro, parsley, lime, and mint.
Oh my! It is delicious! Have a jar in your fridge and you will use it on tacos, baked chicken or fish, roasted vegetables, sandwiches, and rice bowls. In fact, you will use it on everything. I first posted a similar green sauce just over a year ago and have recently seen another version on the blog “A Pinch of Yum” where it is called 5 Minute Magic Green Sauce.
I cannot go without a jar of this sauce in my fridge and have been known to eat a spoonful right out of the container. I challenge you not to lick the spoon when you add a dollop to your lunch or dinner. All that goodness and it is gluten and dairy free, plus “paleo” as well, no guilt involved.
Magic Green Sauce
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup packed mixed parsley and cilantro, add a few sprigs of mint and/or basil for even more lovely green flavor
- 1 jalapeño, ribs and seeds removed
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- Juice of 1-2 limes (I like 2)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios or other nut, cashews are very nice as well
- Pulse all the ingredients except the nuts in the bowl of your food processor until smooth and well incorporated.
- Add the pistachios or other nuts and blend until mostly smooth.
- Serve as a dip, a spread, or sauce. You may thin with additional water or oil if needed. I like mine the consistency of a thick mayonnaise.
The sauce keeps for a week (if it lasts that long) in the fridge. I found the flavor is even better if you can make it a few hours ahead of using.