Ok, this is a “do-over”. Last October I posted this recipe for slow cooked chicken and carrots with cumin, turmeric and coriander. I’ve been wanting to make it again for ages, but never got around to it. The flavor combination is wonderful, but there were too many steps and I wanted to speed things up a bit. I wondered, could this be a “make ahead” company dish? The answer is yes! Here is my improved version of the original recipe.
Chicken and Carrots with Cumin, Coriander, and Turmeric
- Two bunches of medium sized carrots, peeled and tops removed.
- 8 chicken thighs, bone in and skin on – trim them of any extra skin and fat
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon of ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon of Aleppo pepper or other mild chili powder
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- Fresh cilantro (or mint) chopped, as a garnish
- Trim the chicken thighs, wipe them dry with a paper towel, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- Toast the cumin and coriander seeds in a small dry skillet. When toasty brown and aromatic, remove them to a plate to cool. Grind them in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder. Combine with the thyme, turmeric and chili pepper, add about 1 teaspoon of kosher salt.
- Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a very large skillet over medium high heat. When the oil is hot, add the chicken thighs, skin side down. (You may need to do this in two batches, don’t crowd the skillet.) Cook for 10 minutes without turning, at that point they should be golden brown and easily release from the pan. Brown the other side for another 5-10 minutes. Turn the heat down to medium if they appear to be cooking too quickly.
- Remove the chicken to a plate and cook the second batch of thighs if necessary.
- Toss the peeled carrots with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and add them to the skillet. Cook, turning them as they brown, until lightly caramelized. This will take about 7-10 minutes.
- Remove the carrots to a plate.
- Wipe out the skillet, place it back over medium heat, and add the butter. Once melted, add the spice mixture and stir to mix.
- Place the chicken back in the skillet (adding any accumulated juices as well), turning the thighs to coat with spices. Add the carrots and gently mix.
- Place the skillet in the oven and cook for 25-30 minutes until the chicken and carrots are done.
You can make this ahead through step 9. Refrigerate once cool. When you are ready to finish the meal, reheat the skillet gently on the stove before finishing in the oven. Garnish with chopped cilantro (the fresh leaves of coriander) or mint.
Serve with rice or quinoa or polenta or good crisp bread, and a salad.