Why is this deconstructed? Because it has all the delicious parts of pork wanton soup, but without the wanton wrappers. Leaving those out makes it both gluten free and low carb. I was inspired by a recipe for egg roll soup and thought…why not wanton? This is a lighter version of regular wanton soup, without the wanton wrappers. It’s perfect when you want a quick, healthy, vegetable laden and warming bowl of soup for lunch or a light supper.
- 1/2 pound of ground pork
- 1 tablespoon of neutral oil like grape seed
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of fresh ginger, grated
- 1 cup of shiitake mushrooms, stems trimmed and sliced
- 1/2 bunch of scallions, sliced white and light green portions
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of fish sauce
- 2 baby bok choy, rinced and sliced thinly
- 6 cups of chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon of toasted sesame oil for drizzling when serving
- chopped cilantro for serving
- Heat the 1 tablespoon of neutral oil in a large stock pot or saucepan over medium heat and sear the ground pork until browned.
- Add the carrots, garlic, ginger, mushrooms and scallions. Saute until softened and fragrant.
- Add the chicken broth, soy sauce, and fish sauce.
- Bring to a simmer and add the bok choy, cook until softened, about 5 minutes. It should still be bright green. if the white stems are large, add them first and cook for a few minutes before adding the tender greens.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve with a drizzle of sesame oil and a sprinkle of cilantro.
If you want a heartier meal for dinner, extra bulk can be added with a few steamed wantons. A request from the husband when serving for dinner. I found the lighter version perfect for me.
I think the folks at Fiesta Friday would enjoy this, especially anyone wanting to cut down on the carbs. Angie hosts Fiesta Friday and this week her co-host isJhuls @ The Not So Creative Cook. It’s Fiesta Friday #270. Click the link to read interesting posts about cooking, crafts and gardening.