I seem to be stuck on dishes that work on a buffet these days. It’s the impulse to cook foods that are excellent warm or at room temperature, easy summer food perfect with something tossed on the BBQ. This dish could also be a main course for a vegan or vegetarian meal.
The recipe is adapted from Food 52 “The Genius Recipes“.
Warm Squash & Chickpea Salad with Tahini
- 2 lbs of winter squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- 1 garlic clove, minced finely
- 1 teaspoon Zahtar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups of home cooked chickpeas or 1 can of cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup of roughly chopped cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, crushed to a paste with a pinch of salt
- 3 1/2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons of tahini paste
- 2 tablespoons of water (plus more if needed to thin)
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss the squash with the garlic, allspice, Zahtar, olive oil and salt and pepper. Place in one layer on the baking sheet and roast for about 25 minutes until soft and starting to brown. Let cool for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the tahini sauce. Mix the crushed garlic with the lemon juice, add the tahini paste. Thin with water and add the olive oil. Whisk into a smooth sauce and taste for seasoning.
- To assemble, place the warm squash, chickpeas, red onion, and cilantro in a mixing bowl. Add the tahini sauce and mix carefully. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
I’m taking this for the buffet at Angie’s for Fiesta Friday #73. Come join the fun.