My blog has been going for almost a year, yet this is only the second dessert recipe I have posted. My tastes don’t usually run to sweet, more to salty. And in the interests of keeping the “middle-aged spread” to a minimum, I carefully dole out my carbs. Enter this wonderful vegetarian, gluten free, dairy free, sugar free, Paleo friendly, low carbohydrate cake made from cashews. I served it in thin slices for dessert with fresh fruit, but you could cut it into larger slices for breakfast scones. It would be wonderful anytime with a cup of Earl Grey. It’s dense and flavorful with honey and lavender. And best of all, this is an easy and delicious recipe.
Lavender season is in full bloom in Northern California so it seemed appropriate to season it with fresh lavender. Make sure you purchase food grade lavender (I purchased dried lavender at Williams Sonoma) or use blooms that have not been sprayed with any pesticides or herbicides.
- 1 1/2 cups of Cashews (or 1 1/3 cups ground). I used unsalted but roast Cashews.
- 1/4 cup of Arrowroot
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons of lavender
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons of honey (or 3 tablespoons of maple syrup)
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9 inch metal pie plate with parchment paper.
- Blend the cashews in a food processor until powdered.
- Whisk all the dry ingredients (powdered cashews, arrowroot, salt, baking powder and lavender) together in a large bowl.
- Whisk the wet ingredients together, stir into the dry ones.
- Pour into the lined baking dish and bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
I’m taking this to Fiesta Friday for the guests at Angie’s to enjoy.