Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite vegetables, and they are super good for you as well. They lend themselves to many cooking methods but I’ve been on a search to find one that suits the grill and can be (mostly) made ahead. This recipe fits the bill. You can do the pre-baking earlier in the day (when it is cooler), and then pop them on the grill to brown at the last-minute. This would be a perfect side dish for your BBQ on the 4th.
Here is a bit of background on the healthiness of sweet potatoes. They are ranked as one of the top nutritional vegetables by the Center for Science in the Public Interest. Amazingly the sweet potato has been found to contain between 100-1,600 micrograms of vitamin A in every 3.5 ounces. It could be possible to meet over 90% of your daily vitamin A needs from this single food.
Eat the skin and you get more fiber than a single serving of oatmeal.
Grilled Sweet Potatoes with Miso-Sesame Sauce
- ¼ cup of mild white or yellow miso
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons of organic peanut oil
- 1 sweet potato per person, scrubbed well and sliced ½ inch thick
- Chopped cilantro and a couple of tablespoons of seedy mix for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the miso, soy sauce, sesame oil, and peanut oil.
- Place the sliced sweet potatoes in a single layer on the baking sheet. Brush the exposed side with the sauce.
- Roast 20 minutes.
- Turn, brush with the sauce and return to the oven for another 20 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and leave at room temperature until ready to roast.
- Grill until toasty brown on each side, this should only take a couple of minutes on each side.
Garnish with cilantro and some seedy mix or roast pumpkin seeds.
The same sauce was delicious brushed over some fresh salmon steaks prior to grilling.
Do you think they will like this at Fiesta Friday? It will be a wonderful side dish for BBQ ribs or chicken. And easy since you can make it ahead.
Please join us for the party, Fiesta Friday #75. Click on the link to see what’s up at Angie’s, the food and company is wonderful.