I couldn’t believe how flavorful, creamy, healthy, quick and easy this soup was to make in the electric pressure cooker. Mine isn’t an Instant Pot, which I know is all the rage. But it is very similar and works exactly the same way. You could, of course, make it on top of the stove. It will still be delicious and I will include directions for that as well.
This soup is dairy free, gluten free and vegetarian; qualifying it it as vegan. The creaminess comes from coconut milk with additional richness and flavor from peanut butter. Curry paste and ginger add a touch of spice.
(serves 4 generously, 6 not so much)
- 8-10 large carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 14-ounce can of coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups of vegetarian broth or water
- 1/4 cup of peanut butter
- 1 Tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- Salt to taste
- Chopped cilantro for serving
- For the electric pressure cooker – add everything to the pot and set the timer for 15 minutes. When done, let it cool down naturally for 10-15 minutes. Then carefully release the pressure. When cool, blend until smooth. Taste and season with salt to taste. Top with cilantro for serving
- For the stovetop – saute the onions and garlic in coconut or other oil until soft. Add the carrots, coconut milk, broth, ginger, and curry paste. Simmer gently until the carrots are very soft. Add the peanut butter and stir to melt it. Cool before blending smooth. Top with cilantro.
I am going to take this soup to Fiesta Friday #260 hosted by Angie, the co-hosts this week are: