Another long title this time but I wanted to include it all as a description. The inspiration came from one of my favorite cookbook authors, Mellissa Clark from the NY Times. This is another sheet pan dinner. I’ve added a few things to make it a full meal, and simplified it as well. All you need is something green to complete it. We loved an arugula salad with a mustard and lemon dressing.
The original did not include the carrots or the croutons. I had a couple of bunches of multi-colored carrots from the recently opened farmer’s market and wanted to include them. They made a perfect ‘rack’ on the sheet pan and roasted to perfection under the chicken thighs. The croutons were added near the end of cooking time along with the feta. The irregularly shaped chunks became crispy on the edges and absorbed the wonderful cooking juices.
You could use another vegetable or even potatoes instead of the carrots, make sure they have a similar cooking time. Brussels sprouts would work, thick slices of cauliflower as well.
Chile-Roasted Chicken with Honey, Lemon and Feta (Plus Carrots and Croutons)
- 6-8 bone-in, skin on chicken thighs (or breasts)
- salt and pepper
- 6 – 8 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely grated or smashed into a paste
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil plus more for drizzling
- Zest and juice of one lemon, Meyer if possible
- 1/4 teaspoon of red-pepper flakes, plus more for serving
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1 lemon (Meyer if possible) sliced thinly
- 2 ounces feta, crumbled into large pieces
- 3 thick slices of ciabatta or brioche, torn into pieces about 1 – 1 1/2 inch pieces for the croutons
- chopped mint or parsley for serving
- Season the chicken all over with salt and pepper. In a large bowl, mix together garlic, honey, olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon pepper flakes. Add the chicken and toss with your hands, spreading the paste all over the chicken. Add the rosemary sprigs and lemons slices, toss again to combine. Let marinate at room temperature for at least 30 minutes or in the fridge for up to 8 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment or foil.
- Spread the carrots on the sheet pan, spread the chicken over the carrots with the skin side up, tuck in the rosemary spreads and lemon slices. Cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove the sheet pan from the oven and tuck in the croutons around the chicken. Sprinkle the feta on top.
- Continue to bake for another 20 minutes until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the thigh registers 165 degrees F.
- Sprinkle with chopped herbs and additional red pepper flakes for serving.
It’s Fiesta Friday #382 and I am taking this easy sheet pan dinner to the party . You can find the link to Fiesta Friday here. It’s a virtual (aren’t most things now) party, a collection of posts hosted by Angie. Come on over to read a collection of blogs about cooking, gardening, decorating and crafts.