These cauliflower croquettes are amazing! My husband and I ate the entire recipe in a single sitting! Forget the meat (we did), you won’t need it. Made small they would be wonderful as a starter, or larger as a main or side dish. Gluten free, vegetarian (if you leave out the bacon), low carb, and delicious! Isn’t cauliflower a wonderfully adaptable vegetable?
I served the croquettes topped with avocado sauce. They would also be good with a fresh salsa verde or green sauce or a dollop of sour cream.
- 1 small to medium head of cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 4 slices of bacon, fried crisp and crumbled – keep 2 tablespoons of the fat
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 4 scallions, very thinly sliced (white and green parts)
- ¼ cup fresh chopped parsley
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup of garbanzo flour
- 1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a food processor rice the cauliflower florets (it should be evenly chopped but not completely pulverized).
- Transfer cauliflower rice to a microwave-safe dish and microwave on high for 4 minutes, or until cooked.
- Meanwhile pre-heat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Transfer the cauliflower to a strainer lined with a tea towel. Let it cool until safe to handle, the twist the towel to squeeze out as much moisture as possible. There will be a lot.
- Transfer the cauliflower rice to a mixing bowl, and add the next 8 ingredients. Up to the olive oil. Mix well. add egg, scallions, parsley, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Heat two tablespoons of the bacon fat (if using) and 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large heavy frying pan over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Form the cauliflower mix into a loose croquette or burger shape. The mixture will be quite loose but will firm up when cooked. Press the patties flat with a spatula. Fry until brown on one side, then flip and cook the other.
- You may need to do this in batches adding more olive oil to the pan.
- As you finish one batch, place the cooked croquettes on a cookie sheet in the oven to keep warm while you finish frying the rest.
- Serve with avocado sauce, salsa verde, or sour cream with a garnish of parsley.
I’m taking this to Fiesta Friday #57 to serve with my avocado sauce. Come join Angie and the gang at the Novice Gardener.