Using the air fryer to cook mushrooms has been a revelation. Why, you might ask? Easy, hands off, lower in fat, and delicious…I will answer. I used a mixture of brown crimini with a package of organic ‘Chef’s Sampler’ mushrooms. But you can use the commonly available white mushrooms as well. The ‘Chef’s Sampler’ is a mix of Alba Clamshell, Forest Nameko, Velvet Pioppini and Maitake Frondosa.
The small clustered mushrooms turn crispy as if they were deep fried. The volume will reduce significantly so use more than you think you will need.
Ingredients: (2 servings)
- 4 – 6 cups of mixed mushrooms, wiped with a damp cloth if dirty. Cut the larger ones in half.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- Toss the mushrooms with the tablespoon of olive oil and the kosher salt
- Cook in the air fryer at 370 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes, shaking at the half way point
Sautéing them in a pan will use much more oil or butter, and requires your attention. Try this method if you have an air fryer, I think you will find it delicious.