I’ve made these zucchini cakes or fritters several time, they are a big hit each time. They could be the center of a vegetarian meal if you add another grilled vegetable (maybe more zucchini), avocado, and/or a scoop of ricotta or goat’s cheese.
You can cook them in your air fryer or in the oven, both ways turn out wonderfully. I recommend you cook them on a rack if using the oven. Or, preheat your sheet pan before adding the fritters. By cooking them in the oven or air fryer you reduce the amount of fat to a bare minimum.
Zucchini Cakes or Fritters
- 2 large zucchini
- optional: 2 zucchini flowers if available, thinly sliced
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, I used gluten free panko
- 1/2 cup of ricotta
- 1/4 cup of freshly grated parmesan
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated
- 4 scallions, light green and white parts, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil for brushing
- Oven: Preheat to 425 degrees F. If using a rack, line your sheet pan with parchment paper. If not, place your unlined sheet pan in the oven to preheat with the oven and grease it lightly with olive oil before placing the fritters on the pan.
- Air Fryer: Follow the manufacturers directions. If recommended (mine does not need preheating) preheat to 400 degrees F.
- Grate the zucchini on the large holes of a box grater. Place the grated zucchini in a clean kitchen towel and wring out as much excess liquid as possible. You can work in batches if needed. You can save the juice as it makes an excellent stock or soup base.
- In a large bowl, combine the grated zucchini, zucchini flowers, bread crumbs, ricotta, Parmesan, garlic, scallions and red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Using your hands, scoop out about 1/4 cup of the zucchini mixture and flatten into a patty. Place on the air fryer rack or baking rack or directly on the oiled sheet pan, space the patties about 1 inch apart.
- Brush the patties lightly with olive oil. Bake until golden, about 15-20 minutes, flipping them halfway through.
- Sprinkle with more salt before serving. Chives are also nice if you have some.
I think zucchini flowers are amazingly beautiful and they can be very strange. This one looks like an alien creature.
Adding the zucchini flowers to the fritters was an idea from Irene of the blog My Slice of Mexico, thank you Irene.
Have a wonderful weekend.