This easy salad would also be excellent with other cooked vegetables, zucchini comes to mind. I came back from a week away with a plethora of both green beans and snap peas harvested by my assistant gardener husband, I used a mixture of both.
Add cooked white beans or garbanzos or even canned tuna for a complete meal. Since I have a family member that doesn’t enjoy feta, I added a slice when serving rather than mixing it into the salad. This salad is certainly vegetarian but could be vegan if you leave out the feta and anchovy.
Green Bean Salad
- 1 ½ pounds fresh green beans, or mix of green beans and snap peas
- ½ of a medium red onion, minced
- ½ cup feta cheese (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced mint leaves (or oregano)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- ½ cup pitted kalamata olives, well drained
- Additional mint leaves for garnish
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove finely minced
- 1 finely minced anchovy (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a pot of well salted water to boiling. Add the trimmed green beans and cook until crisp tender. The time will depend on the size and freshness of your beans, mine were cooked for 6 minutes.
- Drain in a colander and run cold water over them to stop the cooking. Spread on a layer of kitchen towels or paper towels until completely cool.
- Combine the vinaigrette ingredients in a small jar and shake until well mixed.
- Place the cooled green beans, cherry tomatoes, chopped red onion, chopped fresh mint or oregano leaves, and olives in a large bowl. Toss with the dressing and place the feta, either crumbled or sliced, on top.
- Garnish with additional fresh mint or oregano.
This salad can be made hours or even a day ahead. Bring to room temperature before serving.
It makes wonderful leftovers…if you have any left.
This would be a wonderful side for any kind of BBQ. We served it with a simple grilled chicken marinated in olive oil and lemon juice.
I am taking this to Fiesta Friday #342 hosted by Angie. Please add your own post to the link party and don’t forget to link your post to FiestaFriday.net and the cohost, so you can be featured. Your cohost this week is Jhuls @ The Not So Creative Cook
Have a wonderful weekend everyone.